Commissionerate for Afghan Refugees was established in 1980 at Islamabad under the Administrative and Financial Control of Ministry of States & Frontier Regions (SAFRON). Huge influx of Afghan population had crossed the borders and arrived in Pakistan since 1979 as a result of Soviet invasion and later factional fighting in Afghanistan. Afghan refugees settled throughout country due to which Afghan refugee camps were established in KPK, Baluchistan and Punjab.
Kot Chandna Camp
A Refugee Camp in Kot Chandna, District Mianwali was established with the financial assiatance of Federal Government & UNHCR. The District Administrator of the camp along with other personnel pertaining to health, education, security, administration et. appointed in the Camp.
Commissionerate for Afghan Refugees has designed several programs to promote self-help activities among Afghan Refugees and to reduce their dependency on external relief and aid.
In order to manage the educational interventions for Afghan Refugees an “Educational Sector” in the Camp Kot Chandna.
One Central Health Unit (CHU) is functioning in the camp having certain extended health facilities. Daily case load at health unit is about 100 patients.
Water Supply Scheme
After termination of food assistance, the Afghan Refugees were made to pay very high water supply bills due to the high operational cost of water supply schemes.
RAHA (Refugee Affected and Hosting Area)
Refugees Affected & Hosting Areas (RAHA) is an initiative between Government of Pakistan (SAFRON), UNHCR, UNDP, EAD. The aim of the RAHA programme is to promote regional stability and compensate the social, economic and environmental consequences wrought on Pakistan communities by the presence of more than 3-million Afghans over the past 4-decades.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is Refugee?
- A refugee is someone who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war, or violence. A refugee has a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. Most likely, they cannot return home or is afraid to do so. War and ethnic, tribal and religious violence are leading causes of refugees fleeing their countries.
- Is Pakistan signatory to Refugee Convention 1951 or protocol 1967?
- Whether Afghan Refugee having no PoR card will be entitled to stay in Pakistan?
- Afghan Refugees without PoR cards will be considered as illegal immigrant.
- Afghan Refugees can be charged under what offense?
- Under 14 Foreigners Act 1946.
- Whether Afghan student can apply for higher education in Pakistan?
- Yes, there are reserved seats for Afghan students in MBBS, Engineering and MBA every year.